Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Flu Knitting

I have some variety of the flu. This is infuriating for several reasons. First, I have not been sick with anything contagious in something like 3 years. Second, my symptoms? Totally lame! Headache, fever, and my back feels achy. I'm also filled with grumpiness and fatigue. Third, I am missing work, and while normally I would welcome a vacation, I am impoverished and the holidays are coming.

Which brings me to my mounting to-knit list.

1) Gaby-related knitting. Something brightly colored and warm. I would like if it was technically interesting, but I'm not going to push it.

2) Steve's Skiing Hat. I have knit and re-knit the brim on this stupid thing some ridiculous number of times. Steve is an imposing dude, size wise. It looks too small, and I'm not speaking to it at the moment. It sits in my knitting bag and I glare at it. It is made of Malabrigo, and should really behave.

3) Secret Project commissioned by Philosophy Kat.

4) Beanie for Max. A recent request. I'm allowing it. I need to procure royal blue yarn. DK or Worsted would be best. He lives in FL and AZ so a cotton, linen, or silk blend would probably be best.

5) AFP Cowl. This is going to be rushed, but I'm working on an alpaca lace cowl for Amanda Palmer to give her at her show because I am holy crap inspired by her life and her music. No, I don't care if that's creepy. She *Likes* creepy fans. Sod off, haters.

6) Galloway-related knitting. I have a distinct feeling that the socks I'm working on right this moment are going to end up belonging to The Gardeness. I *may* even have enough yarn to do something for The Gardener, also. The colorway of this Light Brown Hare yarn (Crispin's Day) is much more suited to their wardrobes than mine. And the cabling on these socks would look lovely on Mrs. G's feet. I reserve the right to get greedy and keep them for myself. Not sure yet.

7) Donovan gloves. Crap. Really Prag? You really wanted to try knitting herringbone for the first time on frigging gloves? Scrap that project, and start over. Don't be dumb.

8) S Justus. I want to do socks, but I'll need a recon mission from Gabs.

9) Crystal's Coraline outfit. Oh my goodness. I cannot even talk about this right now. I'm sorry this is taking so long. Stumbling block after stumbling block.

10) Carl wants a Flyers Hat. And socks. He may have to pick one for Yuletide, and get the other after new years... I'd like to manage both by boxing day.

11) FINISH RACHAEL'S EFFING GLOVES! GODDAMN.

12) Ross? Oh, dear.


OK. I usually set a limit of 12 for holiday knitting. It's like the Twelve Days of Christmas, only it's a) 12 Projects, b) Knitting instead of Days, and c) has nothing to do with Jesus. Oh, and d) Madness. Don't forget the madness.


I have spent my flu-ridden state sleeping and drinking a lot of hot apple cider, taking advil, watching crime drama, and knitting on these socks. They're cabled. I haven't done cable work in a really long time. It is very rewarding and I miss it a lot. However, after about 6 straight hours of it today, I started getting delirious and making mistakes. I will come back to it tomorrow, since it currently feels like I will also be missing work tomorrow as well.

I will say this: I am a pretty productive knitter when I'm not feeling well and don't have a choice but to sit around and put my mind to it.