Thursday, April 9, 2009

We Came, We Saw, We KICKED ITS ASS!

Man, I love the Ghostbusters.

Also, I have conquered the invisible cast on (no small feat, and probably the most frustrating thing I've done in a while) and had the Most Intense Knitting Session of My Life Ever last night after a hellish day at work.

I have finished rows 1 through 21 of Eunny Jang's Print O'the Wave stole, and I have been pleasantly surprised at my facility with it, and with the Haiku.
The on the yarn, from the mohair fiber content can be a bit unruly. It likes to stick to itself, and I have had to knit much slower, and exaggerate my movements to avoid tangles. I also had to alter my gauge on the wrong side rows. I forgot how loosely I need to remind myself to purl so that I can get an inelastic yarn to do things like, K2tog.

All in all, I'm happy with my progress, and much less intimidated by the project. The yarn is beautiful, and the project is truly engaging and challenging. It absorbed 100% of my attention, and I forgot all about my troubles yesterday at work. Precisely the sort of project I need.

Lace is still a bit unnerving, especially with Mohair. I feel like I won't really have any idea how the project is going to turn out until it is finished and blocked. My last mohair project involved lots of frogging (i.e. RIPPING!) and starting over for that reason. Since then, I have learned to trust my judgment and skill a bit more, so if it looks a bit wonky, but I am confident I'm doing as the pattern instructs, I don't just rip it out for the hell of it anymore.

All the same, I will be excited to see how the project progresses after a few repeats of the pattern in the center panel. I'm also curious about picking up the live stitches from the invisible cast on. I have a feeling a smoother yarn would make this easier, but it wouldn't have the glowing halo of the Haiku.

I have taken pictures at a few stages of the process, but haven't figured out the best setting on my camera to show the details. If anyone has suggestions on this, I'm all ears.

I'll post what I have sometime Friday, most likely.

The Murray-Green wedding is Saturday, and I'm pretty psyched!
Also, the Murray-Green baby gift is coming along nicely. It is sort of Zombie knitting, as I told The Gardeness. So it will be a nice contrast to the stole I'm working on.

Also, if people at work are allowed to take smoking breaks, I'm permitting myself knitting breaks.

I need a little more order and sanity in the workplace. Hopefully this will help.